Voip Messenging communities

My ventures into FPS war games have coincided with my introduction to using VoIP while playing video games online. VoIP is used to communicate between friends during online gameplay. normally, this VoIP program exists outside the constraints of the video game software itself, especially in the case of PC gaming. This allows alliances to be conducted outside of the “magic circle” and allows for communities to form around the video game, but not in it. Steam in particular, has an interesting way to perpetuate this type of community, through social networking. After getting to know someone on steam, you can move to a more “intimate” VoIP environment, such as Ventrilo, which is the software I have been experimenting with. This outside type of VoIP encourages a more well-rounded way of playing online video games, where gamers are encouraged to play with their friends across multiple platforms and to utilize their social network to become better players. Undoubtably this has helped the video game industry, since the more social gamers are, the more they are likely to influence each other on what games to buy, and that means players buy more games. This is especially important in the genre of online media, since many players (including myself) have issues buying media without anything physical to put it on. players are more likely to buy media that feels “insecure” if a friend recommends it, since they now have a legitimate reason to invest money in something (they have someone there that they are sure they will play with once they buy access to the media). Supporting VoIP was the smartest decision that Online video game producers could have done. Social gaming is just one of the trends in gaming that is definitely here to stay.